Friday, March 5, 2010

FNAR Review - Pre "Test Fire" Summary

After spending hours researching, reviewing, pondering, scrutinizing, and nit picking, I think I'm finally at the point where I can wrap up this series of pre-range testing posts on what you get when you walk out of the store with this rifle in your hands.  But before I do my wrap up, let me refresh you with what FNH says about their rifle.  Everything in italics below was taken from multiple pages from the FNH web site.


Descending from the legendary Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), the FNAR puts autoloading speed and bolt-action accuracy into one powerful package. The FNAR is the ideal competition and practical rifle when both speed and power are your top priorities.

Browning BAR Short Trac Stalker top, FNAR Bottom

....endurance tested to 10,000 rounds for increased reliability and durability....

An ambidextrous magazine release button drops the detachable steel box magazine (DBM). A one-piece, receiver-mounted MIL-STD 1913 optical rail comes standard, along with three rails attached to the stock’s fore-end for mounting a battery of tactical lights and lasers.

The matte black synthetic pistol grip tactical stock is fully adjustable for comb height and length of pull via interchangeable inserts, and for cast on or cast off using interchangeable shims.
  • CALIBER - 308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO
  • ACCURACY - Every FNAR rifle ships from the factory with a one MOA, or better, accuracy specification.
  • RECEIVER - 7075-T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard coat black anodized finish - One-piece MIL-STD 1913 optics rail
  • TRIGGER - Single-Stage, between 3.25-5.50 lbs (BEWARE: Some articles on the internet are showing this as a two stage trigger.  This single-stage identification came directly from the owner's manual, page 37.)
  • BARREL - Match Grade - Hammer-forged, fluted - Chrome-lined - Target crown - Length 16" or 20" - 1:12" right-hand twist
  • STOCK - Synthetic pistol grip stock - Checkered gripping surfaces - Three interchangeable recoil pads - Three interchangeable comb inserts - Multiple MIL-STD 1913 mounting rails - Length of pull 14", adjustable via interchangeable recoil pads
  • OPERATING CONTROLS - Fully-ambidextrous magazine release button - Crossbolt safety button - Extended bolt release lever
  • MAGAZINES - Steel magazine body - Low-friction follower - Available in 5-, 10- and 20-round capacities
  • WEIGHT - 8.25 lbs with 20" light barrel and no magazine, 8.75 lbs with 20" light barrel and 10 round magazine, 9.00 lbs with 20" light barrel and 20 round magazine
  • OVERALL LENGTH - 41.5” with 20" barrel
“We have engineered this gun for maximum out-of-the-box accuracy,” says Barbara Sadowy Bailey, director of marketing for FNH USA. “The FNAR is built to the same exact specifications as our U.S. military and law enforcement products, and it is a great addition to our line of high precision long range rifles. The FNAR’s accuracy is unsurpassed.”

As you can see, when FNH designed this rifle, they were serious about producing an accurate and dependable autoloader with some real kick.  Everything I have examined so far leads me to believe that they accomplished what they were trying to do.  Even though I have not been able to confirm first hand the accuracy portion of their claims, Jeff Quinn of GunBlast.com did a great FNAR Review of the rifle and he was able to show a 7/16" three shot group at 100 yards using Buffalo Bore Sniper 175gr Sierra Match King bullets. Clearly, that's sub MOA.   I'm anxious to see if my rifle and my capability can produce these same results.

Pros:
  • One MOA or better accuracy (depending on bullet selection and shooter capability)
  • An autoloader with character
  • A true Multi-use rifle (I consider it a Tactical Hunting Rifle.  This is one rifle that I can truly see being able to compete in both the tactical and hunting rifle worlds.)
  • Control and comfort of a pistol grip
  • Rail ready for those night time hunts
  • Based on the proven  FN / Browning BAR hunting rifle
Cons:
  • Magazine costs - In time, I can see these coming down, especially if someone can make an aftermarket magazine.  Current pricing is about $65 to $80 per magazine and there doesn't seem to be a big price difference between the 5, 10 and 20 round magazines.
  • Small Gun Case - Honestly this has nothing to do with the gun and at least the gun case is not a custom molded one that is not usable with another rifle.  At least it can be used for another rifle, so maybe this is actually a pro.
Links to what I would consider worthwhile reviews of the FNAR:
You can see all of my posts on my FNAR rifle by going to my Summary Page.  Also, don't forget you can click on a photo and it will give you a high definition image so you can see more details.

18 comments:

  1. I purchased a FNAR and cannot find a definitive answer on whether it is safe to fire .308 cartridges in the FNAR. I emailed FN at their South Carolina location, asking this question and got no response. I realize that they have engraved "7.62x51mm" on the weapon; but, have seen many, many posting (including this one) where many different types of .308 (not NATO 7.62x51) ammo is used for testing and reviews.

    Is it unsafe to fire .308 Winchester cartridges in a firearm specifically chambered for the 7.62 mm Nato catridge? So far, to be safe, I have only purchased and used the NATO "circle cross" stamped ammunition; but, availability of this type of ammois is limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been putting 308 handloads thru my FNAR for 10 years. No issues. Consistent 1/2 to 3/4 groups at 100 yards with (my old eyes and) 165 grain Hornady SST or Sierra Match King. If it ever needs a deep clean you can send it back to the factory for a nominal charge. Great people to work with.

      Delete
  2. I cannot speak for FNH, but if you go to their website and check out the FNAR, you will see on the page that talks about their FNAR Models that the FNAR is listed in the 308 Win. caliber. I have not had an issue shooting .308 Win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can shoot .308 from the rifle, the manual specifically supports its use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I called the company on some questions, and they said you can use 7.76 military ammo in it. Page 41 says 7.62x51 NATO (308),I feel that if it says 7.62X51, it's neither or. Or it would say 308 only so you can use military ammo. That is what the sales guy who own the gun shop told me too. I also read that 70% are going to our troops overs sea's so they will run into all types of ammo. To feel safe call them at 800-635-1321.
    P.S. I don't know if the guy relay knew about the 70%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WRONG info in the comment above!!

    commercial .308 is usually higher pressure than Mil. spec 7.62x51...so the 7.62/.308 interchangability is actually opposite of 5.56/.223...it is o.k. to shoot .223 in a 5.56 chambered gun but could cause problems the opposite way wherein .308 in a 7.62 chamber CAN be a problem.

    DUDE...know what the hell you are taking about before posting incorrect and possibly dangerous information!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good catch. I removed the comment that was above yours containing the wrong info. The link below is to a good article on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Link:

    http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI.. Great info provided. The actual specs for this gun are as follows(from FNAR).

    "The FNAR takes a time-proven basic design, adds a new ergonomic stock system, high-capacity detachable magazine and hard-hitting 308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO) performance to create an accurate, adaptable firearm that is equal to any
    law enforcement, security or competition role. Lock and load with this exciting new autoloader from FN."

    In short, the FNAR is chambered for 308 win (although stamped 7.62 X 51 on the gun), so it is safe to fire all 308 caliber ammunition. Hope this helps wrap up a great review of the weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. seriously??? you asked that question>? Is is ok to shoot .308 in a 7.62x51 fire arm? Please put that gun back into the box and return to the place you bought it. You are WAY to stupid to own a firearm or research the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ya no Sheet, if you have to ask if .308 can be shot in a 7.62x51 gun then you need to hit the books and stop fishing for easy internet answers bro....Youtube videos aside.....educate yourself.

      Delete
    2. Umm, know what YOU are talking about before posting an insulting rant about someone. It is a legit question, especially if going into a firefight with a rifle. 308 is hotter than 7.62 NATO mostly because the brass is thinner allowing for more propellant as well as the SAAMI specs on 308 vs 7.62 NATO. My M1A specifically states that all military 7.62x51 ammo is fine, but 308 ammo has to to below a certain weight to not create overpressure conditions which can create a stoppage. It won't blow the rifle up, but a stoppage while having return fire is not an ideal situation. Also, bending OP rods or other damage to an over $2k rifle isn't something I'd like.

      Delete
    3. The difference is in the CHAMBER, not the ammunition. If reloading once fired military brass for a 308 Win chambered rifle, then you will have issues.
      Military weapons have larger chambers. This is necessary with rifles firing lots and lots of rounds between cleanings (i.e. COMBAT). It helps prevent weapons failure due to carbon foulings etc.

      Delete
  10. My experience with the FNAR has been a nightmare , Me and my brother were planning on buying a couple of AR-10 rifles and when our President was wanting to ban guns we went out and instead ended up buying 2 FNAR rifles and putting another on layaway , the rifles we bought were 2 16" barrel and the 20" , all three had crooked picatinny rails on them , not just a little crooked but when mounted quality mounts and scopes on them we couldn't even obtain zero , anyway my brother ended up trading his off for a AR-10 and the one on lawaway I had the store take back , so I decided to send my 20" fnar back to FNH to have repaired , I sent them despription of problem and a few weeks later they sent it back with a target where they had test fired it with same crooked rail on it , so I called up Rudy at FNH and ended up sending it back again to have fixed , well after a couple of months and lots of phone calls they deceide to send me a new gun , they told me I would have it in two weeks , well two weeks came and went and I called Rudy again he then told me it would be anothewre three weeks , I of course said that I was unhappy and unsatisfied with FNAR and there service , 2 days later Rudy calls me back and says they found a rifle to send me , I asked if it was new and he reassured me that i was , Well I got the new rifle in the maul today , New rifle has , YOU GUESSED IT , crooked rail , not only that it has scratches everywhere like it already been worked on and the strange thing is the serial number is older than the one I originally bought , it I had bought it 9 months earlier I would expect to get one with newer serial number , anyway I will be sending this one back again to FNH for new rifle ,,,,,,, I would suggest to anyone looking to buy an FNAR , CHECK THE RAIL , to see if its straight because if you have to send in your brand new rifle to be fixed , dont expect it back anytime soon .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I wonder at what point they will have fixed all the crooked rails. Agreed, always inspect closely before you purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bumping thread.. Is The rail on this rifles still an issue, now being 2016? Im waiting for my rifle from dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly I'm not 100% sure, but I would expect this issue to have been addressed by now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, a little late to the game, but after reading some of these replies, here is some insight...
    In certain conditions, military and reserves from certain NATO forces may deploy with their personal weapons; however, that weapon MUST meet NATO round standards. This is why you will see a COMMERCIAL weapon stamped with 7.62x51 Instead of .308

    ReplyDelete